Monday, June 27, 2011

Prelude to a Trepanation: The Shaping of a Worldview

The Craniotome creates space and is the catalyst for a much needed purging; a purging of information, ideas, affects, upsets, false alarms, and stray (sub)conscious thoughts.

The Craniotome offers hope, signals possibilities, and encourages change for the bad or the good; all depending on the practitioner and her proclivities. The practitioner being me in this case would suggest that its effectiveness is also contingent upon mood. I can be a moody so and so.

Life, being; thought, learning; creativity, imagination; spirituality, faith: all these things take their toll on a brain and a spirit…or a soul…or a conscious…depending on who you are and what you (don’t ) believe. For me, a combination of all three will do: spirit, soul, and consciousness…the trinity of a higher self.

The Craniotome makes room for them all, but draws a line in the sand of my consciousness and allows for some discernment in deciding what is for me and what is against me.

The Crainotome hosts a garage sale for unwanted brain leaches. Those bits that do nothing, but hinder the shaping of my worldview. It is also a life raft, rescuing the treasures I inadvertently discard in moments of distraction and preoccupation with the muck and mire of life.

Theory is great and has its place, but the process of trepanation points to what portions of it play into the heavy residue of my childhood hang-ups and grownup pet peeves. Furthermore, theory strengthens me in some places, but the weightiness of it can also weaken me in others. The Craniotome relieves much of the unwanted pressure it lays on me in an effort to keep me strong.

Praxis is important, but then there’s always me getting in the way of a properly objective analysis of said experience. The critical lens that I hone through theoretical study allows me to make some sense of it. At the same time, the Craniotome allows a little light to shine through so I can navigate the balance between theory and praxis most efficiently.

What is creativity? How do I perform a creative act? Is it all up to me or is there some sort of force outside of me moving my hands or pushing the sound through my vocal chords? And what is imagination? Merely creative thoughts planted into my consciousness by some omnipresent, omnipotent God?

Speaking of God…

Why is that (wo)man (and his/her ideologies) mucks up any productive, life-giving conception of God most of the time? And what is it about this force…this God that gets so many bent out of shape whether they believe or not? Does the power of this force…this God…diminish if it is called by another name? Why does the name divide more people than bring them together? Has humanity made God too heavy for consumption, absorption, and/or comprehension? How can God, Nietzsche, Coltrane and Kendra-as-thinking-body make peace with one another inside of my mind, body, and soul?

Time will tell and this is the space where much of it will hopefully be worked out…for me at least. There are of course no rehearsals involved since the world is but a stage and all. We are all just actors playing our roles, making it up as we go. So...here goes nothing…

2 comments:

  1. Theatrical Bliss!!!!! I can't wait to see and hear what character you play on the world stage of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I'm a former peer of Sasha's and stumbled upon this blog through her. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate what you've shared here. What you've written really resonates with my experience as a former student of social and cultural theory trying to make space for heart, feeling, and divine creativity in my worldview. While initially empowered by theory, I eventually realized that the manner in which I was deploying it was eroding my humanness. I've actually recently started a blog on this and related topics if you're interested in checking it out. The address is http://acreativeresponse.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete